Saturday, April 9, 2011

Favorite Passage of the Week April 8th

I was reading an article on the New York Times website about Sidney Lumet, the director of such films as "Serpico," "12 Angry Men" and "Dog Day Afternoon." The article was by Robert Berkvist. The passage is a quote by the director himself.“While the goal of all movies is to entertain, the kind of film in which I believe goes one step further. It compels the spectator to examine one facet or another of his own conscience. It stimulates thought and sets the mental juices flowing.” 
I like this quote because I like how movies can actually say something rather than just be considered entertainment. I like to read novels depicting social and political problems. This is related to my enjoyment of movies in the same genre. 
The article can be found at 
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/movies/sidney-lumet-director-of-american-classics-dies-at-86.html?hp

No comments:

Post a Comment