Monday, March 14, 2011

Elements of Style Chapter Four

This chapter is entitled "Words and Expressions Commonly Misused." The differences between similar words are explained to help your writing. The first word that I use in my writing is effect. The book says not to use this term is a sentence such as "The blue walls produced a sea-like effect." This word brings about vagueness while a writer must be as specific as possible. Another word that brings about vagueness is factor. Heres a bad example the book provides, "His superior training was the great factor in his winning of the match." Here's the good example, "He won the match by being better trained." The second sentence is more direct and less awkward than the first. I use the word factor in my writing but now I will not. Feature is another word that I often use but is vague just like factor.

I want to be more specific with my writing because I am taking a Technical writing course this semester. Technical writing is all about writing for readers who do not want to read. For example, office workers don't want to read memos and work emails but they must to complete their job. A writer must be specifc as possible in the shortest amount of space.

Another good word that I misuse is however. The book declares that this word must not be used at the beginning of a sentence or clause if the word means nevertheless. I always use this word in the beginning of a sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment