Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Elements of Style Chapter Two

The biggest issue for me in this chapter is the use of active voice. I use passive voice often while the active is more precise and direct. I did not know exactly what passice voice was until I read this chapter. I heard of it, but no one ever explained it to me. I will have to pay more attention to my writing in order to catch myself from using the passive voice too much. This section also explains that "making a particular word the subject of a sentence will often, determine which voice is to be used." Therefore, I have to be very observant of my own writing.
Another important section is "Omitting needless words." This is particularly important to me at this time because I am taking a Technical writing course. This course demands the writer of shorter sentences and more direct language in order to make my point and clear and precise as possible. Also I must make the reader actually read as little as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment